What Is Personal Information?
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
We actively collect certain information you voluntarily provide to us including, without limitation, the information you enter when you create an account and profile, send us an email, post college visit reports, submit academic information, or submit or post any other content to our site. It is important to note that some personal information can be copied and/or reshared by other users.
We automatically collect certain information when you use our site and our services including, without limitation, your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your operating system, the browser type, the address of a referring site and your activity on our site. CollegeMapper also collects information from its mobile phone users (who have installed the CollegeMapper application) in a similar manner to optimize the mobile experience. Beyond mobile phone numbers, we collect mobile screen resolution, device make and manufacturer, as well as the device's unique identifier (in the iPhone's case, a UDID), and, with your permission, your location. We treat this information as personal information if we combine it with or link it to any of the identifying information mentioned above. Otherwise, it is used in the aggregate only.
CollegeMapper stores certain information about people you invite to join the site, including names and email addresses.
CollegeMapper allows users to send messages to each other. These messages may be stored for retrieval at later times in order to facilitate user communication.
CollegeMapper may in the future allow users to make transactions. Data will be securely stored when a transaction is made, including the date and type of purchase made.
Even after you remove information from your profile, copies of that information may remain viewable elsewhere to the extent it has been shared with others, it was otherwise distributed pursuant to your privacy settings, or it was copied or stored by other users.
We may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons and other similar technologies, to track your use of the Site. We also may include web beacons in promotional e-mail messages or newsletters to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the services we offer our website visitors to deliver targeted advertisements and to measure the overall effectiveness of our online advertising, content, programming or other activities.
When you visit the Site, we may assign your computer one or more cookies, to facilitate access to the Site and to personalize your online experience. Through the use of a cookie, we also may automatically collect information about your online activity on the Site, such as the web pages you visit, the links you click, and the searches you conduct on the Site. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in or use some of the interactive features offered on our website.
How Do We Use the Personal Information We Collect?
In General. We may use information that we collect about you to:
• Deliver the products and services that you have requested;
• Manage your account and provide you with customer support;
• Perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our products, services, or content, or products, services or content offered by others;
• Communicate with you by e-mail, postal mail, telephone and/or mobile devices about products or services that may be of interest to you either from us or other third parties;
• Develop and display third-party content and advertising tailored to your interests on the Site and other sites;
• Verify your eligibility and deliver prizes in connection with contests and sweepstakes;
• Enforce our terms and conditions;
• Manage our business; and
• Perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
Financial Information. We may use financial information or payment method to process payment for any purchases, subscriptions or sales made on our website, to protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
Please review "Your Choices About Collection and Use of Your Information" below.
What Personal Information Do We Share With Third Parties?
We want you to understand when and with whom we may share personal or other information we have collected about you or your activities on our website or while using our services.
Personal Information. We do not share your personal information with others except as indicated below or when we inform you and give you an opportunity to opt out of having your personal information shared. We may share personal information with:
• Authorized service providers: We may share your personal information with our authorized service providers that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include fulfilling orders, processing credit card payments, delivering packages, providing customer service and marketing assistance, performing business and sales analysis, supporting our website functionality, and supporting contests, sweepstakes, surveys and other features offered through our website. These service providers may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to share or use such information for any other purposes.
• Business partners: To the extent any personal information is contained in any video, comment or other user submission, or you make purchases, reservations or engage in promotions offered through the Site or our Services, we may share personal information with the businesses with which we partner to offer you those products, services, promotions, contests and/or sweepstakes. When you elect to engage in a particular merchant's offer or program, you authorize us to provide your email address and other information to that merchant.
• Direct mail partners. From time to time we may share our postal mailing list with selected providers of goods and services that may be of interest to you. If you prefer not to receive mailings from these providers, you can notify us at any time by clicking here [link].
• Other Situations. We also may disclose your information:
• In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from a law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us, in our sole discretion.
• When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, report or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, our employees, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce our website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
• In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Aggregated and Non-Personal Information. We may share aggregated and non-personal information we collect under any of the above circumstances. We may also share it with third parties to develop and deliver targeted advertising on the Site and on websites of third parties. We may combine non-personal information we collect with additional non-personal information collected from other sources. We also may share aggregated information with third parties, including advisors, advertisers and investors, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of visitors to our website and the most popular features or services accessed. This information does not contain any personal information and may be used to develop website content and services that we hope you and other users will find of interest and to target content and advertising.
Children Under Age 13
We recognize that some of our potential members are under the age of 13, but want to take advantage of all of the benefits CollegeMapper offers via the Site. Full participation in the Site requires the collection and submission of personally identifiable data. Rather than blocking or restricting access to the Site to those 13 years of age or older, CollegeMapper has opted to make its on line services available to everyone. In doing so, CollegeMapper desires to comply with the requirements of The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). Effective as of April 2000, COPPA was established by Congress to protect children's online privacy. COPPA requires that Web site operators adhere to specific guidelines regarding the collection and handling of personally identifiable information about children under the age of 13. COPPA also requires that we provide parents of our younger members with certain information and obtain parental consent prior to permitting members under the age of 13 to access and use the Site. If you are under age 13, click here [link] to start the parental consent process. For more information about COPPA and your child's rights to online privacy, visit the FTC's Kids' Privacy Web site for parents at http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus45-how-comply-childrens-online-privacy-protection-rule.
Information Collected from Children
CollegeMapper collects personal information from all of its users, including children under 13 years old. While children can view some of the Site content without registering or providing this information, full access to the Site requires registration, and personal information will be collected automatically. Content that is available without a user logging in does not require the collection of personal information. This content may include articles, college profiles, and public user profiles.
If a child under 13 chooses to register for the Site, we will collect different information at various stages of the child's interaction with CollegeMapper. The operator of the site in charge of data collection is Susanna Cerasuolo, who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 939 NE Boat St. Seattle, WA 98105.
The Children's Registration Process: During our registration process we collect a child's first name and last name, parent's e-mail address, parent's telephone number, child's email address, and child's birth date. The child is also asked to create a password. We collect birth dates to validate the ages of our guests, including children. We will not condition a child's participation in an online activity on the child providing more personal information than is reasonably necessary.
Children Participating in the Site: When a child registers and uses the site, there will be many opportunities for the child to voluntarily enter other personal information, just like all other users. This information is generally related to college applications and making decisions about higher education. This may include academic information, hobbies, test scores, potential school choices, photos, videos, and any information volunteered in communication between the child and other site users via personal messages or forums provided by the site. We recommend that our members never disclose their home addresses, home telephone numbers, or other personal information outside of the secure registration process. This is of particular concern in the case of children, and parents should remind their children that it is never okay to disclose information online that would allow a stranger to know how to contact the child beyond using the messaging function through the Site.
Parents have the option to agree to the collection and use of the child's information without consenting to the disclosure of the information to third parties. Parents can review their children's personal information, ask to have it deleted and refuse to allow any further collection or use of their children's information. If a parent would like to exercise these rights, an email should be sent to [email address] with the subject line "COPPA Compliance Request."
• You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in you being unable to use certain features of our Site and the Services because such information may be required in order for you to register as a member; purchase products or services; participate in a contest, promotion, survey, or sweepstakes; ask a question; or initiate other transactions on our Site.
• When you register on our Site you may be given a choice as to whether you want to receive email messages and/or newsletters about product updates, improvements, special offers, or containing special distributions of content by us. At any time you can choose to no longer receive commercial or promotional emails or newsletters from us by clicking on the following link and entering the email address associated with your account: [link]. You also will be given the opportunity, in any commercial e-mail that we send to you, to opt out of receiving such messages in the future. It may take up to 10 days for us to process an opt-out request. We may send you other types of transactional and relationship e-mail communications, such as service announcements, administrative notices, and surveys, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them. Please note that, changing information in your account, or otherwise opting out of receipt of promotional email communications will only affect future activities or communications from us. If we have already provided your information to a third party (such as a credit card processing partner or an event provider) before you have changed your preferences or updated your information, you may have to change you preferences directly with that third party.
Links to Other Sites
What Steps Do We Take To Protect Your Information Online?
We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse.
Users should also be aware of how they handle and disclose their personal information and should avoid sending personal information through insecure email. Please refer to the Federal Trade Commission's website at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/data.shm for information about how to protect yourself against identity theft.
What Choices Do You Have Regarding the Use of Your Information?
You may "opt out" of receiving marketing or promotional emails from us by following the instructions in those emails or by emailing us at info@CollegeMapper.com. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations.
Last Updated: July 27, 2011