Your High School Resume is a list of your activities. You will send this to each of your colleges with your application.
Start your resume during freshman year. It is difficult to remember everything you have done, so update it often. List everything; cut later. Start community service in 9th grade. Aim to have activities on your resume that you do for 3 or 4 years during high school - 4 years is just fantastic!
- Show commitment. Doing something for 3 or 4 years is great!
- Diversify: If you are academic, join something social. If you are athletic, join something academic.
- Everyone needs to volunteer beyond the school requirement. Care about what you do!
- Include dates of involvement, hours/week, weeks/year.
- Go to camps, workshops, conferences, rallies, presentations, seminars and the like.
- Leadership: Campaign if you can and run for officer, manager or captain. College applications ask about leadership.
- Avoid doing things just because they "look good". Do what you love!
- Do not let activities compromise GPA! No one looks past a bad GPA to see your clubs.
You must have things listed in these categories:
- Leadership (counselor, mentor, leader, officer, organizer, chairperson, founder, captain, editor…)
- Activities (school/community)
- Summer Enrichment
You might have some of these categories:
- Advanced Coursework
- INDEPENDENT RESEARCH
- Publications / websites
- Camps, Workshops and Conferences
- Music / Arts
- Work Experience/Internships
- Travel / Exchange Programs
- Church / Temple Involvement
- Hobbies and Interests