This section helps you choose which colleges to apply to. Start by searching for colleges to create and save a college list. Once you have a list, narrow it down using the charts on each page. Save your list! Research the colleges and take notes. Save your notes because you will use them to write why you want to go to each college in your applications.
Students typically begin a college search during the summer before Junior year. Aim to have your list finalized by the end of Junior year so that you can begin contacting your target colleges and working on applications in the summer before your Senior year.
- Be sure that you choose Reach, Match and Safety schools.
- Apply to 6-8 colleges and no more than 10.
- Apply to at least one in-state school.
- Consider applying where your parents went; at private colleges legacy helps.
- Do not set your heart on a reach school where admission is like winning the lottery.
- Having the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
- Visit some colleges to help you define your needs and narrow your list.
- Only design a top-heavy list if you are comfortable with rejection.
- Everyone should have at least one reach school - you never know!